Monday, January 21, 2013

Bacon and Egg Pie


This is one of my favorite types of dishes - yummy, easy, uses staple ingredients, and just as good as leftovers. When I found it on Gloria's blog, Ginger Snap Girl I knew I would have to pick it for this month's Secret Recipe Club. And I'm glad I did.

I love how the creamy goat cheese complements the crispy bacon, and the flavors are irresistable. I hope you'll try the Bacon and Egg Pie for yourself and see how good it is! It's delicious served with a crispy green vegetable - I loved it with roasted green beans.

Start by frying the bacon. Since it needs to be crumbled anyway, I like to cut it into small pieces with my kitchen shears - it cooks up much faster!


While it's cooking, chop up the vegetables: onion, red pepper and mushrooms.


When the bacon is cooked, transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate.


Pour off most of the bacon grease, then add the vegetables to the pan.


Cook over medium high heat until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the eggs and half and half and whisk well.


Transfer the cooked vegetables to a greased pie plate, and then top with the bacon.


Crumble the goat cheese over the mixture, then sprinkle on the Parmesan.


Pour the eggs over the vegetables.


Bake for about an hour or until the pie is golden brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.


Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before cutting into wedges.

Thanks for a great recipe, Ginger Snap Girl!

One year ago: Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Two years ago: Sausage Pumpkin Pasta
Three years ago: Mocha Cheesecake Bars

Find more great bacon recipes at Bacon-Fest!

Bacon and Egg Pie

1/3 pound bacon
1/4 pound white mushrooms, quartered
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 red pepper, diced
2 ounces soft goat cheese
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. thyme
5 eggs
1 cup fat free half and half
salt and pepper

Cook bacon in a large skillet until very crisp. Remove; drain on paper towels. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from skillet. Return skillet to medium-high heat; add onions, mushrooms and red pepper. Cook until well browned, about 4 minutes. Remove from skillet; spread vegetables in a greased 9 or 10 inch pie plate.

Arrange bacon over vegetables, then sprinkle with goat cheese, Parmesan and thyme.

Beat eggs and half and half in a large bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over bacon-vegetable mixture. Bake at 325 for one hour or until egg pie is set and deep golden brown. Remove from the oven, and place on wire rack for 10 minutes. Slice into wedges, and serve. Serves 6



9 comments:

  1. I would love this for dinner...and my hubby would love it for breakfast! What a yummy, versatile dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like my kind of meal. Bacon and eggs in one dish--delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite kinds of meals as well. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quiche, frittata, pie, whatever it has bacon and eggs...total winner in my book. And the goat cheese, well that just puts it over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great all in one meal for breakfast! And tasty too! Smile. Glad to be part of SRC with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you picked this recipe Sara! Especially since it's the only one on the blog without a photo. I'm glad you took the leap of faith! I really love this and it's always a hit with guests. Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would make a great brunch dish! Love it! Glad to be in SRC with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We both had eggs on the brain this month! I love this idea for brunch...can be made in advance and probably reheats like a dream. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks wonderful! Definitely something I would enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.