Monday, July 2, 2012

Mocha Chip Ice Cream


I just love, love, love my ice cream maker - because it helps me create something else I love, love, love -- ice cream! I've made a lot of great ice creams in the last few years (check out the recipe index - they're listed under Dessert - Ice Cream) but this one has rocketed to (near) the top.

I tried a new method for this ice cream - one that doesn't involve cooking eggs but still results in a super creamy, not frozen solid, absolutely scrumptious ice cream. The secret is a can of sweetened condensed milk! You don't even need to add any additional sugar. I can't wait to adapt this method to lots of different recipes...

Start by combining the cocoa, espresso powder (I actually used instant coffee)


and vanilla


in a large measuring cup or mixing bowl. (I like using this big batter bowl cause it pours so nicely when it's time to transfer the liquid to the ice cream maker.)

Whisk this together then add the cream


and whisk to dissolve all the coffee. Add the sweetened condensed milk,


whisk again, then add the half and half and whisk until it's all combined.


Pour into your ice cream freezer and let it churn away. When there's about 5 minutes of churning time left, carefully melt the chocolate. (You can use a microwave or saucepan, whichever you prefer.)


Now with the ice cream maker still churning, slowly add in the chocolate -- it should swirl in and then break up into pieces as the hot chocolate meets the cold ice cream.

When the ice cream is at soft serve consistency, transfer it to a freezer safe container and freeze for several hours.

Yum. Yum. Yum.


One year ago: Goat Cheese Guacamole
Two years ago: Kiwi Strawberry Pie
Three years ago: Twisted Chicken Tetrazzini

Find more great summertime treats at Mangia Monday, Menu Mondays, Mop it Up Mondays, Mix it up Mondays, Seasonal Inspiration, Melt in your Mouth Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday (#2), Tuesdays at the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesday (#3), A Little Birdie Told Me. Full Plate Thursday, Sweet Treats Thursday, Bizzy's Recipe Box, Tastetastic Thursday.

Mocha Chip Ice Cream

1 - 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp. instant espresso (or instant coffee granules)
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups half and half
3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped

In a small bowl, combine the cocoa, coffee and vanilla to form a thick liquid. Whisk the chocolate mixture into the sweetened condensed milk. Place sweetened condensed milk in a large batter bowl; add the half and half and whisk to combine. Add the cream and whisk together until all ingredients are combined.

Process in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.

Meanwhile, melt chopped chocolate in microwave on 50% power until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Five minutes prior to the end of churning, slowly drizzle thin lines of melted chocolate into the ice cream.

Pour into a covered container and freeze until firm.

Recipe Source: Adapted from Amanda's Cookin'









7 comments:

  1. Hi! I found you via Flour Me With Love. Excellent recipe. I especially like how the chocolate is added at the end of the churning. Can't wait to try this! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love my ice cream maker, too. I just got it and just made and posted my first ice cream! This one looks delicious. I have always loved coffee ice cream, even as a kid, so I know I would like this a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ice cream is delicious looking. I love my ice cream maker and I look for new flavors to make so thanks. No longer is it only chocolate, vanilla and strawberry, all which are good but now, it is more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks and sounds so good! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sara,
    This is a perfect Ice Cream for me I just love the Coffee and Coco combination, your recipe looks delicious. Hope you are having a great holiday week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! You are being featured at this weeks tasty Tuesday party which opens tonight. Thanks for linking and hope to see you again this week. http://www.nap-timecreations.com/

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.