Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving Series: Crumb-topped Apple and Pumpkin Pie



If you can't decide between apple and pumpkin pie for your Thursday dessert, you're in luck! This delicious pie combines them both! I wasn't sure what I would think of this when I first made it, but I loved it! And it's probably a great way to convert some people who (for what reason I don't know) don't eat pumpkin pie.

This is a recipe repeat. For full step by step instructions, visit the original post.

Find more great ideas at This Week's Cravings, Your Recipe, My Kitchen, Mouthwatering Mondays, Menu Monday, Mangia Monday.

Crumb-Topped Apple and Pumpkin Pie

1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry (such as Pillsbury), or homemade

Apple filling:
2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (I used Granny Smith)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. flour
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Pumpkin filling:
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
1 cup evaporated milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup sgugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

Topping:
1/2 cup flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
5 tsp. cold butter
3 Tbsp. chopped pecans or walnuts

Unroll pastry to a lightly floured surface. Roll out to 1/2 inch beyond the pie plate, and carefully transfer to a deep dish 9-inch pie plate; flute edges.

In a medium bowl, combine apples, sugar, flour, lemon juice and cinnamon; toss to coat all apples. Spoon into pie crust.

In another bowl, whisk the pumpkin filling ingredients. Pour over apple mixture. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

For topping, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over pie. Bake an additional 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted into the pumpkin layer comes out clean. (Tent pie crust with foil if necessary during the last 20 minutes of baking.)

Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Serves 10.

8 comments:

  1. Yum! I've made a pumpkin pie a couple weeks ago and it was really tasty! this one is very similar. I might add this back on the menu for Turkey Day dinner. Along with my sweet potato casserole from today....www.myjudythefoodie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well aren't you brilliant! that's too fun. yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that pie looks incredible and apple and pumpkin cant think of a better combination for a pie, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm that combination sounds yum! I usually have a bit of both on my dessert plate at Thanksgiving, might as well combine into one bite! Thanks for sharing on Mangia Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good!
    I'm your newest follower, your site is lovely :)
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to make this pie for Thanksgiving but the hubby doesn't like apple pie and didn't want me "ruining" a pumpkin pie! What does he know??? Looks delish and I plan to make it one day.....no matter what he says! ;)

    ~Amy #57

    ReplyDelete
  7. Usually we have an apple pie and a pumpkin pie... I love the idea of mixing them together.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.