Friday, June 17, 2011

Shaved Asparagus and Boursin Pizza



I adapted this recipe from Annie's Eats, one of my favorite cooking blogs. I had never made one of her recipes (she adapted this one from The Tasty Kitchen) but this was a great place to start.

I think I've talked before about my unending love for Boursin. Even though I adore it on crackers, I'm glad to have found another recipe to use it in.

Before now, I'd never seen shaved asparagus, or shaved it myself. Now I am a convert. What a great way to eat this vegetable! All you need is a vegetable peeler and you'll be all set. So let's get cooking.

Start by breaking off the tough ends of the asparagus. Then cut off the tips.



Now peel the stalks with your vegetable peeler, and you should end up with a nice pile, like this.



Stretch or roll out your pizza dough onto your pizza pan or stone, drizzle with olive oil, then use a pastry brush to sweep it across the dough (just like in the spinach and goat cheese pizza).



Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese,



then cover with the shaved asparagus and asparagus tips.



Add the boursin



and then sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden.



One year ago: Cherry Chicken Salad
Two years ago: Frosty Coffee Pie

Find more ideas at Foodie Friday, Friday Food, Food on Fridays, Bake with Bizzy, Foodie Friday #2, Friday Potluck, Fun with Food Friday, Recipes to Run On, Savory Sunday, Seasonal Sunday, Ingredient Spotlight: Asparagus.

Shaved Asparagus and Boursin Pizza

1 pound fresh pizza dough (here's a great bread machine recipe)
1-2 tsp. olive oil, for brushing
3/4 pound asparagus spears
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3 oz. Boursin garlic and herb spreadable cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Roll out the pizza dough onto a pizza pan or stone. Drizzle the olive oil over the dough and then lightly brush it to cover the whole surface.

Break off the woody stems of the asparagus spears. Cut off the tips, then use a vegetable peeler to shave the spears into ribbons. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the dough in an even layer then pile the asparagus shavings and the tips over the top of the mozzarella. Dot the surface of the pizza with the Boursin. Season with kosher salt and pepper.

Bake at 450 near the bottom of the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the crust is lightly browned, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before slicing and serving.

10 comments:

  1. You are talking to the biggest asparagus fan--have me drooling. Thanks so much for sharing on the Momtrends Friday Food LInky

    http://www.momtrends.com/2011/06/national-happy-hour/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asparagus has got to be one of my favorite veggies. On a pizza!?! New to me. I would love to bookmark this recipe for pizza night. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, boy, that looks really good. I never would have thought to shave the asparagus. So different, but it looks like a great way to get the flavor and not have it be lumpy on a pizza. Thanks for linking this to Food on Fridays and giving me a great new way to use asparagus! (I love boursin, too...mmmm....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! Thanks for sharing this at Savory Sundays! It looks great!! don't forget to add the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow. What an interesting pizza. The addition of the "Boursin" makes it sound like a chic French bistro pizza. Thanks for sharing! Always love your step-by-step photos. Who takes them for you? I wonder, cuz wouldn't your hands be all doughy, lol?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pauline, I take my own photos. I just wash my hands a lot, but still, my camera is covered in flour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this, I have a bunch of vegetarian friends, and I'm always struggling to find recipes for them. Next time they come over I'll definitely be making this pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this. I am making a pizza today with boursin and local fiddleheads rather than asparagus...and some fire roasted red papers for color.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.