Friday, April 15, 2011

Cashew Rice Pilaf



I am always in the market for a new side dish. I gave up on those boxed mixes long ago - I think it's much more interesting to make it myself, and know what's going in to what I eat! I was intrigued when I found this recipe on allrecipes - the combination of rices, raisins, peas, carrots and cashews was too interesting NOT to try! I'm glad I did - it's really delicious and would be a great dish to make for a crowd. (I didn't look at the number of servings until it was too late - I probably should have halved this recipe! It's a good thing it's so tasty since it will take several - or many - meals to get it eaten up!)

Start by melting the butter in a Dutch oven and then adding the onions, carrots, rice



and raisins.



Cook and stir until the onion is tender, about 3-4 minutes. Then add the onion salt and broth.



Bring this mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low; cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Then stir in the peas



wild rice



and cashews,



and cook for a few minutes until heated through. Garnish with green onions and a few cashews.

One year ago: chocolate raisin cake
Two years ago: white chocolate macadamia nut cookies

Get more inspiration at Foodie Friday, Friday Food, Food on Fridays, Friday Potluck, What's Cookin in the Kitchen, Ingredient Spotlight.

Cashew Rice Pilaf

1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup butter
3 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. onion salt
2 cups frozen peas
1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice
1 cup cashews
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions

In a Dutch oven, saute the rice, onion, carrots and raisins in butter until onion is tender. Add the broth and onion salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in peas, wild rice and cashews; heat through. Garnish with green onions and a few additional cashews. Serves 12.

1 comment:

Powered by Blogger.