Monday, March 29, 2010

Brussels Sprouts with Garlic Butter & Almonds



I really like brussels sprouts so I was excited to find a new way to prepare them. As often as I make them, I always make the maple-bacon variety. And I love those. But I really like these too.

Start by toasting the almonds. You can do this simply by cooking them in a skillet over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes. Stir them frequently so they don't burn on one side.



Set the almonds aside. Then slice the garlic



and cut the sprouts in half, if you like. (I always do this, even when I buy the petite versions.) I really like frozen sprouts for the convenience, but you can use fresh as well.



In the same skillet you used for the almonds, melt the butter over medium heat then stir in the garlic,



sprouts,



salt and water.



Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring ocassionally. Make sure you stir often enough that the garlic doesn't get over-browned.



(If you're using fresh sprouts, you may need more time; 8 minutes should be plenty for frozen.)

Once the sprouts are tender, transfer them to a serving dish and sprinkle with almonds.



Get more ideas at Mouthwatering Monday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday and Tuesdays at the Table.

Brussels Sprouts with Garlic Butter & Almonds

1/4 cup slivered almonds
1 Tbsp. butter
2 large garlic cloves, slivered
1 pound brussels sprouts, halved or quartered
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. water
1/2 tsp. salt

In a nonstick skillet, cook almonds over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Transfer almonds to a cup; set aside.

In same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in garlic, sprouts, water and salt. Cover and cook 8-10 minutes, stirring ocassionally. (Stir often enough in the last minutes of cooking so that the garlic does not overbrown.)

Transfer sprouts to a serving bowl and sprinkle with almonds. Makes 5-6 side dish servings.

2 comments:

  1. I bet my husband would love this - he's a huge fan of brussels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! I am always looking for new brussels sprouts recipe. I have several on my blog. Thanks for sharing a new one!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.