Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Twisted Chicken Tetrazzini


I'm always on the look out for interesting new skillet dinners, especially in the summer when I don't want to use the oven. (You can find more of these here, here, here, here and here!) This is a recipe from Campbell's, but I adapted it (as usual) for my taste. It's a great way to sneak in those veggies!

First, put a pot of water on to boil, and then add your pasta. This recipe is called "twisted" because it calls for corkscrew pasta - I used gemelli, which is sort of the same.

While you're waiting for the water to boil, you can shred the zucchini and carrots. I have a mandolin so I use that for the zucchini. If you have a food processor, that would work too.



I love seeing a bowl of perfectly shredded zucchini!



I was using baby carrots so I didn't shred them, I just sliced them. Next, chop your onion and mushrooms, and saute them in olive oil for 2-3 minutes, until tender.



Add the zucchini, and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.



Add the carrots to the pasta when it is nearly done cooking, maybe about a minute left.



Now add the soup, sour cream and milk to the skillet with the vegetables.



Stir well to incorporate all the sauces, then add the chicken. I used some leftover grilled chicken. You can use chicken from your freezer stash, or canned chicken if you're in a pinch.



Drain the pasta and carrots, and add them to the skillet. I found I had too much pasta for my taste so I didn't add it all - next time, I'll cook less!



Stir well to mix all ingredients together, and then top with parmesan.



Parmesan adds such a nice finishing note to so many foods - don't skimp on this! I buy a big jar of shredded parmesan at a wholesale club (WAY cheaper!) and then keep it in the freezer. It's what works for me.

Stir well again and season to your taste. I added about 1/2 tsp. salt.

Get more great ideas at What's Cooking Wednesday and the In-Season Recipe Swap.

Twisted Chicken Tetrazzini

2 1/2 cups uncooked corkscrew pasta
1 medium zucchini, shredded
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tsbp. olive oil
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup low fat sour cream
1/4 cup milk
2 cups cooked and chopped chicken
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Bring large pot of water to a boil; add pasta. Add carrots during the last minute of cooking time; drain in colander.

In large skillet, saute onions and mushrooms in olive oil for 2-3 minutes til tender; add zucchini and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add soup, sour cream and milk and stir well. Add chicken and drained pasta/carrots. Stir well to incorporate all ingredients. Add parmesan and salt and pepper to taste, stirring one last time.

3 comments:

  1. I love skillet meals.
    Have a Happy July 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my favorites, I think skillet meals are great. Thanks for the recipe.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a very similar tetrazzini, only I add crushed red pepper flakes and about a 1/4 cup of fresh red pepper, omitting the carrots. Very tasty.. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.